Sunday, January 24, 2010

Adoption, what about it?

It was 10th grade, and one of my classmates said that when she gets older she will adopt a boy and a girl. I really liked the idea back then and had totally forgotten about it, until some recent events led me to re-think it. The first was this article by my brother Pascal, and the second reason is the most recent natural disaster that hit Haiti and caused many kids to lose their parents. I read that many countries initiated the adoption of many children from Haiti such as the Netherlands. I found that to be great (soon but on the long run great).

It did get me thinking that I should consider it in the future, I want to be part of this gift, especially if in 10 years I'm still on my own or if I'm married but for some reason can't have children.

I know a couple who don't seem to be able to have children, which is very sad because they do want children, but I feel that some Lebanese people are short-sighted, and never consider other options, such as, adoption or even in vitro (that's another post).

What is so wrong about raising a child that is not your biological child? You'd be giving a good chance for this kid to lead a good life, you would directly be that reason. Every child deserves a parent, which doesn't have to be the biological one. It isn't easy, but definitelynoble.

So what do you guys think about adoption?

I will leave you with this video of the song "Con toda palabra" for the amazingly talented singer, Lhasa De Sela, she left this world on January 1, 2010.


3 comments:

  1. Actually I was talking about this with a friend a couple of days ago. You know, IVF (In Vitro Fertilization) being done in Lebanon but people do not talk about it. You might think they are short-sighted, but I do believe people will do anything to have children.

    I personally know some couples who tried IVF. Anyways my opinion backs up yours, but I think some people tend to be pulled away from this because they would always think the child is not "really" theirs.

    Oh and btw, Lhasa is big in the Montreal scene ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I guess the in-vitro is mostly done discretly!
    Do u like Lhasa,?

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSfG75iWECo&feature=related

    ReplyDelete